Residential Support Worker
Job Title: Residential Support Worker
Department: Residential Services – Residential Support Workers are not assigned to a specific location and must be able to work in a variety of residential settings as needed
Reports Directly To: Residential Manager
Weekly Hours: Varies
Proposed Schedule: Varies
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Non-exempt
The Residential Support Worker will work directly with individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities to teach, assist, and to facilitate choices in their residences and within their community. Provide support to our individuals in their homes where they enjoy the highest quality of life.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide hands-on assistance to individuals in required areas of daily living (ADL’s and IADL’s).
- Ensure that the human, civil and legal rights of all individuals are protected. Follow DPPC and mandated reporting guidelines. Teach and promote dignity, respect, making informed decisions and reasonable risk with individuals.
- Maintain the safety and security of the group residence during daytime/overnight hours. Implement emergency plan procedures to maintain safety and supports for individuals served when necessary.
- Administer medication according to MAP guidelines (certification required within first 90 days of employment to retain job).
- Provide a clean and safe home environment by completing all cooking, cleaning, and snow removal tasks assigned.
- Assist all individuals served in accessing community resources by attending and transporting individuals served in agency provided vans to including but not limited to community resources, outings, medical appointments, etc.
- Have knowledge of and be competent in implementing all special protocols, positive behavior supports, and/or therapy plans for all individuals served
- Follow all medical recommendations as documented in individual charts
- Implement support strategies to assist all individuals served in achieving ISP goals
- Treat all individuals and their families with dignity and respect
- Complete all documentation including but not limited to shift notes, medication administration records, incident reports and protocol documentation
- Participate in required trainings as assigned and develop competencies in identified areas
- Be punctual for all shifts and be able to work at other locations as assigned by supervisor
- Other duties as assigned by management
Additional Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Participate in monthly supervision sessions with direct supervisor
- Attend all house meetings as directed by supervisor
- Complete and submit timesheets in electronic payroll system accurately and on time
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Ability to provide direct care in activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, eating, toileting, and continence, transferring and mobility)
- Ability to lift 30 pounds and occasionally 50 pounds
- Ability to reach, bend, stand, sit, and walk; perform fine motor activities.
Qualifications: Education & Experience Required:
- Commitment to providing support/advocacy to individuals who are challenged by a disability
- Flexibility regarding schedule
- Two years’ experience preferred with working with individuals with ID/DD
- Ability to record data using a computer, enter time worked into an electronic system and receive and send email required.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately in order to keep documentation up to date and understandable.
- Proof of Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent (or higher education degree).
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to transport individuals in agency provided van.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Current MAP certification or ability to obtain within the first 90 days of employment.
Professional Development/Training Offered:
- Certification in CPR/First Aid prior to working any single coverage shifts
- Certification in MAP in first 90 days of employment
- Minimum of 20 hours of training (both live and online) annually as assigned by supervisor
Management reserves the right to assign other duties or projects as necessary.